Proper breathing is nose breathing, and without awareness to our breathing patterns we cannot make a change.
Unless we teach our kids and ourselves to be aware and pay attention, these changes just going to get worse with time.
One more thing I’d like to emphasize about nose berating vs mouth breathing. SLEEP!
The ability to breathe properly is vitally connected to deep and restorative sleep. We all know how we feel after a good night, uninterrupted sleep. We can take on the world! We also know how we feel when we just toss and turn, unable to fall asleep or stay asleep.
Just a quick reminder of some of the effects of sleep deprivation that we might not think of:
– focus and attention diminish
– the ability to remain alert and attentive diminishes
– receding and maintaining information (learning) becomes more difficult
– mental, emotional and physical overload occur -decision making ability decline, because we have difficulty assessing and interpreting information
– planning becomes more difficult
– judgement is impaired
– inflammation increase in the body that will weaken the immune system (getting sick more often)
– increased systemic inflammation will create increase pain sensitivity (chronic pain)
Are any of these symptoms familiar?
If your answer is yes, it’s time to learn how to nose breathe. It’s not sexy, is not the newest “fitness trend”.
It is a FUNDAMENT SKILL that will affect the quality of your life for the rest of your life.
Another skill that we don’t usually address in the gym, is learning where we hold our tongue. As I mentioned at the beginning, constantly dropped tongue position will interfere with mouth and facial structure development. (next blog is on tongue) If you have children and grandchildren the best gift you can give them is teaching them about the importance of nose breathing. Cannot start early enough.
In case you need help to learn where to start and how to do it, you can always book a session (private or group) in the studio at your home or at the office.
If you know someone who could use help with breathing or other coaching, do not hesitate to forward my emails and contact info.
Leave Your Comment Here